The Achieve Career Success in Science through Excellence (ACSScellence) Program is an NSF-funded ‘need-based’ scholarship program for students who are enrolling in Science degree programs at UTEP. Both students starting as freshmen or who are transferring from a 2 year program at El Paso Community College are eligible to apply. The overall goal of the program is to empower students to successfully complete a Science degree and develop the professional competencies, soft skills and global mindset required for a successful career in the 21st century STEM workforce.
• Provide the opportunity to talented but financially disadvantaged undergraduate students to pursue and complete a Science degree.
• Retain program participants and ensure their timely STEM degree completion.
• Ensure participants are prepared for the diversity of advanced degrees and/or career opportunities available within and beyond academia.
• Measure the impact of proposed curricular and co-curricular activities on the academic performance and career interests of undergraduate participants.
Benefits of ACSScellence Scholars
• Receive financial support (scholarship)
• Be mentored by internal and external professionals
• Conduct research under mentoring of UTEP faculty
• Participate in multiple curricular and co-curricular activities designed for development of key professional skills
• Graduate on time
• Become innovative STEM professionals
Meet our leadership team:
Dr. Lourdes Echegoyen
Director of the Campus Office of Undergraduate Research Initiatives (COURI) and Research Associate Professor of Chemistry
Dr. Karina C. Canaba
Associate Director of the Campus Office of Undergraduate Research Initiatives (COURI)
Dr. Jeffrey Olimpo
Assistant Professor in Biological Sciences