The Achieve Career Success in Science through Excellence (ACSScellence) Program is an NSF-funded ‘need-based’ scholarship program for students who are enrolling in Science degree programs at UTEP. Both students starting as freshmen or who are transferring from a 2 year program at El Paso Community College are eligible to apply. The overall goal of the program is to empower students to successfully complete a Science degree and develop the professional competencies, soft skills and global mindset required for a successful career in the 21st century STEM workforce.
• Provide the opportunity to talented but financially disadvantaged undergraduate students to pursue and complete a Science degree.
• Retain program participants and ensure their timely STEM degree completion.
• Ensure participants are prepared for the diversity of advanced degrees and/or career opportunities available within and beyond academia.
• Measure the impact of proposed curricular and co-curricular activities on the academic performance and career interests of undergraduate participants.
Benefits of ACSScellence Scholars
• Receive financial support (scholarship)
• Be mentored by internal and external professionals
• Conduct research under mentoring of UTEP faculty
• Participate in multiple curricular and co-curricular activities designed for development of key professional skills
• Graduate on time
• Become innovative STEM professionals
Meet our leadership team:
Director of the Campus Office of Undergraduate Research Initiatives (COURI) and Research Associate Professor of Chemistry
Dr. Laura Diaz-Martinez, Ph. D
Associate Director of the Campus Office of Undergraduate Research Initiatives (COURI) and Research Associate Professor of Biology
Dr. Jeffrey Olimpo, Ph. D
Assistant Professor in Biological Sciences